More in this section...
HHS Curriculum Home
Belief in What We Do
At Harrogate High School (HHS) we believe in putting ‘Learning first….’, this is central to shaping our vision of our learning community.
We aim to create:
- Successful learners who enjoy learning, make good progress and have high aspirations.
- Confident individuals who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilled lives
- Responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to their local community and society at large.
All our pupils will fulfil their unique academic and personal potential. Every pupil will live according to the HHS CARES values and go on to university or follow the rewarding career of their choice.
Our guiding principles to achieve our mission are:
- Good student progress over 5/7 years for all learners
- Closing the gap and accelerating progress for our most vulnerable learners
- There should be depth before breadth. Maximise learning time in all subjects
- As part of our wider curriculum, our CARES curriculum encompasses our Life@HHS lessons and Assemblies and are underpinned with our CARES values, SMSC, British Values, PSHCE (inc. promoting positive health and wellbeing) and aspirations to prepare learners for modern Britain.
It is important that the Academic Knowledge Rich curriculum is organised, so it provides students with the opportunity to learn expected behaviours and model the CARES values throughout their whole school experience.
Design Principles of Harrogate High School’s Curriculum
These are based on the curriculum principles as set out by Dylan William (2013) and evolved by Michael Young (2014). We consider these to be the key ingredients in curriculum planning that are the backbone of great classroom Teaching & Learning.
- Powerful Knowledge
- Threshold Concepts
- Domain-centric Skills
- Learning for Mastery
- Disciplinary Literacy
- Sequential & Coherent Planning
- Depth and Breadth
It is our aim that the Harrogate High School Curriculum is functional, robust, and ambitious so that all our students are able to seize their potential.
Our Curriculum Policy
To find out more information about our curriculum, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org