More in this section...
Mental Health and Wellbeing
Our Vision for All
The vision for Wellbeing and Mental Health at Harrogate High School is for a whole school community where first-class emotional wellbeing and mental health are at the heart of the culture and ethos of the school.
This will enable students, with the support of their teachers, to build confidence and flourish. For staff, collegiate support and learning opportunities for all, will promote and support everyone’s emotional wellbeing and mental health, so that staff are happy together and ready to facilitate learning, imagination and discovery.
The mental health and wellbeing of our school community is something that we take very seriously, we strive to empower and encourage both pupils and staff to be healthy, happy and achieving. In June 2020 we as a school community achieved the ‘Wellbeing Award for Schools’ which we are very proud of. We also have a dedicated Positive Mental Health and Wellbeing Policy for both pupils and our staff.
- On site Just B counsellor works 2 days a week in school, providing emotional and well being support. Referrals to our Just B counsellor are completed by school staff. Please contact your Student Support Officer, Head of Year or Medical Room Nurse for further information. Just B School Support: https://justb.org.uk/schools-support/.
- The Wellbeing in Mind Team attend school atleast once a week to provide mental health support within our school, this covers early promotion and prevention work
- Mental Health Leads in school with the knowledge and skills to support pupils and also make referrals to other mental health services should these be required
- Staff upskilled to promote positive mental health and wellbeing and self-care but also able support pupils one to one with mental health difficulties
- Wellbeing meetings with year group Student Support Officers or Heads of Year
- Appointments available to meet with the Medical Room Nurse to discuss mental health and wellbeing
- Life coaching programme
- Use of our wellbeing room which is equipped with sensory and mood lighting lights, soft furnishings and mindfulness colouring, giving pupils a space to reflect and self regulate
- PCSO available to offer mentoring sessions around wellbeing topics, keeping safe and crime prevention, referrals to this service can be made by contacting your Student Support Officer.
- The mini-market place provides an overview of what is available to support the social and emotional mental health of children and young people across North Yorkshire. It can be accessed through this link.
Other support websites include:
- Young minds website
- The Healthy Child Team Service
- Compass Phoenix
- Compass Buzz text service ‘Buzz Us’
- Free counselling www.stopbreathethink.org.uk
- Text 'shout' to 85258, free 24/7 mental health text support.
Parent and Carer Support
We are very lucky in school to have a dedicated Family Support and Wellbeing worker called Mrs G Dickinson, who also offers parent drop-in sessions on Friday mornings 11-12.30, bookable through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other support includes:
Other useful websites include: